Across the nation, SLU LAW alumni work at small, medium and large firms; excel as CEOs, in-house counsel and environmental consultants; and serve in national, state and local government organizations.
From academics to entrepreneurs, prosecutors to solo practitioners, and legal aid lawyers to partners at major firms, SLU LAW prepares its graduates to succeed in a variety of career paths.
Missouri Attorney General’s Office, Class of 2017
Rachel Jag , J.D., Missouri Attorney General’s Office, Class of 2017, says,
I would choose to go to SLU LAW again
"10, 20 times over. It was probably the best experience I could’ve had for my legal education. I made so many great friendships, I learned so much more than I ever thought was possible, and I wish I could go back and do it all over again.”
Experts to Assist You in Your job search
Led by three seasoned and well connected attorneys, the Office of Career Services provides career counseling and development assistance to current students and alumni to examine their individual interests and skills in order to help find the best career fit.
Tools for success
Career Services offers individual assistance to students and alums that includes resume writing, interviewing techniques, job searches and referrals to practicing attorneys.
Joe Benoist , J.D., Attorney at Internal Revenue Service, Class of 2018, says,
Valuable Experience Outside of the Classroom
"SLU LAW provided the opportunity to engage in multiple legal-oriented activities outside of the classroom. These opportunities required us students to form excellent time management skills to balance both coursework and hands-on activities. I have found those time management and organization skills extremely beneficial in my career."
What is it like to be a SLU LAW lawyer
“I walked out of school feeling less like a student and more like somebody ready to start a career.”
— Ben Ford (’18), Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
“SLU LAW’s excellent externships gave me opportunities to test what I had learned in the classroom and obtain practical skills that prepared me for my first post-grad job."
— Shannon Orbe (’18), U.S. Department of Justice
“As a St. Louis County circuit judge, I frequently interact with SLU LAW students and have recent graduates appear in front of me. I am continually struck by the fact that SLU LAW graduates not only are conscientious and committed to being good lawyers, but also desire to provide service to the community. SLU LAW is preparing strong professionals who are also active citizens.”
— The Hon. Margaret T. Donnelly (’88), circuit judge for the 21st Judicial Circuit
“SLU LAW’s influence on my life and career has been profound. I believe that our profession is more than that; it is a calling. This calling comes with an accompanying obligation to serve. SLU instills in its students an understanding of this obligation, that our training places us in a unique position to use our gifts and talents in service of others.”
— Robert S. Kenney (’98), vice president of state and regulatory affairs, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, California
“SLU LAW is a cornerstone of the St. Louis legal community, and supports students by encouraging active engagement in legal networks and in the community at large.”
- Susan Coatar, ('18), Vice President, Chief of Staff at Centene Corporation
"SLU LAW students get the hands-on experience in law school, which is fantastic. It really helps you talk about the law to regular folks so they can understand why they need to make certain legal choices and how it is going to impact the way their businesses grow."
- Lauren Harris, ('09), Greensfelder
Donte Tamprateep , J.D., Class of 2018, Imo's Holding Company, says,
"SLU LAW will always be an integral part of my life story, both personally and professionally. From orientation to graduation, I was impressed by the group of people that SLU LAW was able to draw together through the strength of its Jesuit mission, reputation for excellence, and focus on diversity. SLU LAW's faculty, staff, and students are second to none. SLU LAW taught me much more than just jurisprudence and how to pass a state bar exam. The practical skills taught in the clinics and transactional classes have served me equally well in my career and also set SLU LAW apart from the competition."
Preparing For Practice
While in law school, students can participate in a field placement with practicing lawyers.
- Ascension Health
- BJC HealthCare
- Express Scripts
- Hospital Sisters Health System
- Mercy Health East Communities
- Catholic Legal Assistance Ministry (CLAM)
- Land of Lincoln Assistance Foundation
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
- MICA Project
- Missouri Commission on Human Rights
- Phillips Black
- ArchCity Defenders
- Federal Public Defenders, Eastern District of Missouri
- Madison County Public Defender
- Saint Louis County Prosecutor's Office
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Illinois
- IRS Office of Chief Counsel
- Saint Louis University Office of General Counsel
- Saint Louis Zoo
- Schnuck Markets, Inc.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Chief Counsel
- Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Illinois
Resources for your career
The Office of Career Services also offers programs throughout the school year to explore traditional and nontraditional career paths. The Office maintains an online listing of jobs for students and alumni, as well as a library of a variety of legal directories, job search information, government position listings, handouts, articles of interest, employer profiles and other useful career planning information.
Young Alumni Society
The Young Alumni Society (YAS) is an open organization for SLU LAW alumni who graduated in the last 10 years. YAS aims to connect recent SLU LAW graduates to the School of Law, the legal community, and each other through professional development and social activities.
Success Starts at SLU LAW
Graduates from SLU LAW are poised for success.
Where do SLU LAW graduates work?
- American Bar Association
- American Civil Liberties Union
- American Medical Association
- Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- ArchCity Defenders
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
- Bunge North America
- Carolinas Health Care System
- Dignity Health
- Edward Jones
- Emerson Electric
- Enterprise Holdings Inc.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Public Defender
- Greensfelder, Hemker & Gale, P.C.
- Hogan Lovells
- Husch Blackwell
- Illinois Appellate Courts
- Illinois Attorney General
- Internal Revenue Service
- Jones Day
- King & Spaulding LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Legal Services of Eastern Missouri
- Macy’s Inc.
- Missouri Attorney General
- Missouri Court of Appeals
- Missouri Department of Social Services
- Morgan Stanley
- Nestle Purina
- Phillips Black
- Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services
- SSM Health
- Sandberg Phoenix & Von Gontard P.C.
- St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- U.S.A.F JAG Corps
- U.S. Congress
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eight Circuit
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- U.S. Department of Justice
- U.S. Department of Treasury
- U.S. District Courts
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Wells Fargo
Building a Foundation for Success
You May Also Like
You can be successful with a general J.D. degree or you can decide to pursue a speciality.
The Office of Student Services can help you navigate student organization speakers, finances, class registration and much more.
Ready to start your SLU LAW journey? Take the steps now.